REPEAT WINNERS ALL AROUND AT BRIDGEPORT
Four different drivers were repeat winners at the Bridgeport Speedway on Saturday night but they all arrived in Victory Lane after some very different circumstances.
Jamie Mills put the Blue Hen Special in Victory Lane for the second time this season after winning the drag race with Wade Hendrickson to the checkered flag in the Spirit Dodge Big Block Modified feature event. Mills win came with the narrowest of margins of the night.
After many top five finishes this season, Jim Britt picked up his first and second wins of the season as he collected both the May 16th held over event and the regular feature in the Stewart Stainless Crate/Sportsman action.
Jeramy Doerr picked up three consecutive wins in the PennCo Tech Outlaw Stocks to start the 2015 season and returned to Victory Lane with win number four on Saturday night. D.A. Auto Body & Repair Rookie, Steve Kemery also earned his fourth win of the season in Rookie competition.
The month of May ended the same way it began for Big Block Modified driver, Jamie Mills – with a feature win at the end of the night but the night looked like it belonged to the Flying Farmer, Wade Hendrickson, until the final lap of the twenty-five lap main event.
Scott Ambruster led the first lap with Hendrickson taking over on the second circuit. Bob Sarkisian moved up to second with Hendrickson leading, Sarkisian, Ron Roberts, Ambruster and Jack Swain with five complete. Swain moved up to fourth as Ryan Watt fought his way into the top five on lap eleven.
Hendrickson maintained the top spot through several restarts as Watt moved up to fourth before a right rear flat had him headed to the pits just before the half way mark. Sam Martz moved up to third on the subsequent restart with Mills and Sarkisian right behind. Martz took over second on the next restart for the disabled car of Jesse Hill.
Martz found the outside to his liking as he pressured Hendrickson for the lead. Mills looked to the inside of Martz just before five to go but Martz was having none of it as he pursued the leader. Hendrickson led Martz, Mills, Laubach and Swain with five to go. Laubach had moved up to third on lap twenty-one but his efforts were negated by a caution flag.
With Mills pressuring, Martz took his race to the outside as the race for the lead became a three way battle between Hendrickson, Martz and Mills. With just one lap to go, Martz had a right rear tire blow, bringing out the caution one more time and setting up a one lap shootout to the checkered flag.
Now Hendrickson had Mills on his heals as they lined up for the single file restart. Mills pulled even with Hendrickson as they raced out of turn two for the final time but Hendrickson pulled ahead as they raced down the backstretch. Coming to the line it was anyone’s race with Mills pulling to about a half car length advantage at the checkered flag. It was Mills for the win over Hendrickson, Laubach, Swain and Richie Pratt, Jr.
Jim Britt made his return to the Bridgeport season last season, his last feature win at Bridgeport coming during the 2003 season. He added two more to the win column after taking both the rained out feature event from May 16th as well as the regular Stewart Stainless Crate/Sportsman feature on Saturday night.
Britt’s wins came on two totally different track surfaces. With the rained out feature the first event on the Saturday night schedule, Britt took the lead from Scott Hulmes before the five lap mark and led the distance to the checkered over CJ Jones, Jeremy Harrington, Bob Lilick and Gary Hieber.
In the nightcap, it was Nick Nicotra who led the first lap before 2014 Rookie Champion, Matthew Peck took over on lap two. Peck led for six circuits until Britt made the pass for the lead on lap eight. Britt raced ahead of the field while Peck held off the challenges of Gary Hieber for second. Britt again picked up the win over Peck, Hieber, Justin Lilick and Jeremy Harrington. Britt, Hieber and Harrington finished in the top five in both feature events.
Jeramy Doerr was a mad on a mission as he took the lead on the first lap and drove to the win in the PennCo Tech Outlaw Stocks without a challenge, picking up his fourth win of the season. The action was all about the runner-up spot that was finally secured by Tom Wills, Sr. after a battle with Jeff Dirkes and Tom Wills, Jr. Wills, Jr. finished third followed by Dirkes and Joe Meron.
After a first lap collision between Bryan Olsen and Roger Gaskill, it was all Steven Kemery in the D.A.’s Auto Body & Repair Rookie feature. Kemery captured his fourth win of the season with Tom Holding taking second followed by Bryan Olsen.
Racing action resumes next weekend with the quarter mile on Friday night with 270cc & 600cc Micro Sprints and 8 Cylinder Enduros. Race time is 8pm. The TSRS Sprints return on Saturday with the Big Block Modifieds, Crate/Sportsman, Outlaw Stocks and Rookies with racing getting underway at 7pm.
SPIRIT DODGE BIG BLOCK MODIFIEDS (25 LAPS)
1. Jamie Mills, 2. Wade Hendrickson, 3. Rick Laubach, 4. Jack Swain, 5. Richie Pratt, Jr., 6. Mike Iles, 7. Dominick Buffalino, 8. Bob Sarkisian, 9. Ryan Anderson, 10. Tommy Beamer,, 11. Ron Roberts, 12. David Hunt, 13. Scott Irwin, 14. Travis Hill, 15. Eric Kormann, 16. Scott Ambruster, 17. Sam Martz, 18. Steve Searock, 19. Justin Grim, 20. Ryan Watt, 21. Jesse Hill, 22. Howard O’Neal, 23. Stan Frankenfield, 24. Mike Franz
STEWART STAINLESS CRATE/SPORTSMAN (20 LAPS)
Hold over feature from 5/16
1. Jim Britt, 2. C.J. Jones, 3. Jeremy Harrington, 4. Bob Lilick, 5. Gary Hieber, Jr., 6. Nick Nicotra, 7. Pat Wall, 8. David Crossman, 9. Chris Jenkins, 10. Scott Hulmes, 11. Justin Lilick, 12. Steve Kemery, 13. Steve Desmelyk, 14. Tom Holding, 15. Pete Serra, 16. Roger Gaskill, 17. Kris Lilcik, 18. Melissa Scarpatti, 19. Matthew Peck, 20. Harry Landis, 21. Kevin Belmont, 22. Jeff Bubori, 23. Bob Scott
STEWART STAINLESS CRATE/SPORTSMAN (20 LAPS)
1. Jim Britt, 2. Matthew Peck, 3. Gary Hieber, Jr., 4. Justin Lilick, 5. Jeremy Harrington, 6. David Crossman, 7. Brad Roberts, 8. Bob Lilick, 9. Steve Kemery, 10. Nick Nicotra, 11. Scott Hulmes, 12. Chris Jenkins, 13. Melissa Scarpatti, 14. Tom Holding, 15. Roger Gaskill, 16. Pete Serra, 17. Jeff Sargent, 18. Pat Wall, 19. CJ Jones, 20. Jeff Duprez, 21. Kris Lilick
D.A.AUTO BODY & REPAIR ROOKIES (8 LAPS)
1. Steve Kemery, 2. Tom Holding, 3. Bryan Olsen, 4. Roger Gaskill
PENNCO TECH OUTLAW STOCKS (15 LAPS)
1. Jeramy Doerr, 2. Tom Wills, Sr., 3. Tom Wills, Jr., 4. Jeff Dirkes, 5. Joe Meron, 6. Ken Moran, 7. Mike Vanimen, 8. Jim Neely, 9. James Rader, 10. Brian Ludwig DNS – Jonathan John
Friday, June 5, 2015 – Quarter mile action for 600 & 270cc Micro Sprints & 8 Cylinder Enduros – racing at 8pm
Saturday, June 6, 2015 – “Show of the Tow” – Big Block Modifieds, Crate/Sportsman, TSRS Sprint Cars, Outlaw Stocks, Rookies and Tow Trucks on display – racing at 7pm
Friday, June 12, 2015 – Open Mods on the Quarter Mile along with 600 & 270cc Micro Sprints, 4 Cylinder Enduros – racing at 8pm
Saturday, June 13, 2015 – Drive for Dylan 50 special event for Outlaw Stocks plus Big Block Modifieds, Crate/Sportsman & Rookies, racing at 7pm